[evlatests] More on low-level polarization issues.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 18 22:27:50 EDT 2008

    Ken's report on the floating point arithmetic problems in the MIB
encouraged him to wonder if the slow wind of RL and LR phases in my
3C147 L-band polarization data might also be due to this.  Indeed, the
observed rotation -- 5 turns in one day, corresponds to 60 microHz.

    If so, the effect would be restricted to EVLA antennas.   The data I
showed Monday morning showed the effect in both VLA and EVLA antennas --
however, a 'global, all antennas' PCAL had been run, perhaps causing the
EVLA effect to 'leak' into the VLA.

    To check this, I re-calibrated the VLA-only data, specifically,
running PCAL on them alone, with a VLA antenna as reference.  Sadly,
imaging with VLA only, and VLA-only calibrated data shows the effect is
still there.   It's harder to see on the VLA-VLA baselines, as the
'leakage' terms are smaller, which seems to reduce the size of the
variable effect.

    By looking at the baselines on which the phase rotation is seen with
the best SNR, I think I can convince myself that the signature is
visible in the originating data (meaning, the cross-hand data following
parallel hand calibration, but prior to PCAL) -- as a slight sinusoidal
oscillation -- as expected if a slowly winding vector is added to the
large and constant antenna polarization term.

    As the differential (post-PCAL) phases are winding very uniformly
over the 5 hours, it's doubtful that we're seeing a problem based on a
sensitivity to elevation.

    I want to emphasize to all that this effect is at a *very* low level
-- the residual baseline amplitude at any one observation is perhaps 20
mJy -- 0.1% of the total intensity.  Although all baseline phases rotate
at the same rate, the phase offsets all appear to be different, so the
effect on the synthesis image is reduced by roughly a factor of N -- the
net image rms is less than 0.03% of the peak in I.  That's not bad ...