[evlatests] 12.5 MHz Spectral Line -- Very puzzling results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 5 18:43:04 EDT 2008

    Tests done last April seemed to demonstrate that the extra noise
seen in 12.5 MHz spectral line modes (with the single exception of the
cross-hand correlations in mode PA) was removed when 'self-test' was
turned off.

    Subsequently, Bryan arranged for this to automatically occur
whenever 12.5 MHz BW spectral line observations were made.  A brief test
made earlier this week however failed to demonstrate the expected
absence of the additional noise -- the parallel hand correlations in
mode 'PA' were about 50% noisier than the cross-hand correlations.

    Ken thus recovered the files I used in the April tests, and re-ran
this experiment last night.  In summary, the files observed 3C147 and a
nearby blank field at L-band in continuum, and in modes PA, PB and '4'
for bandwidths 25, 12.5, and 6.25 MHz.   The file was run twice, once
with self-test on, once with self-test off.
    Analysis is by examination of the (calibrated) noise histograms of
the real and imaginary parts of the visibility when on the noise
source..   The AIPS task UVHGM is now set up to fit a gaussian to the
distribution -- this proves to be very useful.

    I reduced that data this afternoon, and determined that the basic
characteristics that I have reported before are still in effect, namely:
       * all correlations when in spectral line mode with BW  = 12.5 MHz
-- with the exception of the cross-hand correlations in mode PA -- are
too noisy by a factor of two to three.
       *  all observations at 50, 25 and 6.25 MHz gave histograms
exactly at the expected widths.
       *  turning off self-test decreased the noise -- *** but did not
return the histogram widths to the correct values***.  More intriguing
(or perhaps disturbing) is that the histograms of the affected data are
distinctly non-gaussian -- there are large extended 'tails' on both
sides (positive and negative) of the distribution.  These are evident in
the data taken with self-test on, and are very much more evident in
those histograms taken with self-test off.   By contrast, the histograms
of the unaffected data (non-12.5 MHz, and cross-hands in mode PA) are
beautifully gaussian.

    Some numbers to show the scale of the effect:

    In modes PA, PB, and 4, with BW = 12.5 MHz, the derived channel
widths are 781 kHz.  We used 1.66 seconds averaging.  With self-test on,
we find the following histogram widths (dispersion):
      Mode          Parallel Hand            Cross Hand
         PA                  0.98 Jy                    0.43
         PB                  0.92                         0.88
           4                   1.00                           NA
    Note that 0.43 Jy is the corrrect answer, as determined by
observations in the continuum, and in the 25 and 6.25 MHz BW observations.

    When self-test is turned off,  we get the following
    Mode            Parallel Hand              Cross Hand
       PA                    0.62                          0.42
       PB                    0.49                          0.48
         4                     0.60                           NA

    Note that turning self-test off always reduces the noise, but in no
case does the noise go to the correct value.  Also, *all* of the noise
histograms are distinctly non-gaussian, and all in the same way, with
long, tails of excess for both positive and negative values.

    These results seem to be contrary to what was claimed in the April
tests -- taken with the same file on the same source.  I recovered these
data, and recalibrated the 12.5 MHz PA mode data.  What I claimed in
April is again seen -- turning off self-test restored the histogram
widths to near the right values.  But not fully -- and I see something
that I overlooked then -- the histograms are distinctly non-gaussian
(with the same extended wings) both with self-test on, and self-test
off, for the parallel hand correlations.  As always, the cross-hand
correlations were fine -- both in width and in shape.

    Ken assures me the system has not been changed between April and
now.  So -- how can the system give strikingly different results for
these 12.5 MHz modes?