[evlatests] C-band Sensitivity Oscillation

Robert Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 29 12:23:02 EDT 2008

Bob D.,

Although WL Gore still sells radome material (3T20), they really don't
seem to have any serious EM expertise left in their company anymore.
Alas they make all their money with their architectural material line. I
received the following email from Gore to a query I made concerning
their RA7906 and 3T20 fabrics back in Feb 2005...

"We really do not have much information on the differences of the two
product throughout different frequencies. Gore a few years back really
stepped away from the Microwave fabrics business and lost most of our
technical resources. At that time we decided to become a material based
business model and not a technical support business model. For that
reason we have always relied on the customer to determine the
requirements of their application by sampling them material for testing.
What we were finding is that each requirement was slightly different and
it was becoming very costly to have the testing preformed in house or by
outside firms. In addition because of the slight differences many
customers were asking for us to preform the testing to their specific
frequency. Again the business would not support this type of technical
resource."

In June 2007, when Jim Ruff inquired about buying RA7906 material for
the Ka & Ku-Band horns, he was informed that Gore were no longer making
our favorite RA7906 radome material, but were accepting orders for the
last 44 meters (x 45" wide) that they still had on hand. So we bought
all they had to complete the remaining feeds on the EVLA for $9000 (18
meters were needed to handle X, Ku, Ka plus extra for K & Q-Bands). So
we have a fair bit of spare material, but certainly not enough to
replace the ESSCOLAM-10 used on the C-Band feeds.

The VLBA uses ESSCOLAM-8 (and maybe even ESSCOLAM-6) on their L, S &
C-Band. The ESSCOLAM-8 product line is now now obsolete and was replaced
with ESSCOLAM-10 which has a hydrophobic coating (water on the radome
surface collects in beads rather than in sheets, and since water has a
high dielectric constant and a very high loss tangent, even a thin film
of water on the surface of a radome can cause rather large signal
attenuation).

As best we can tell, the 24 mil thick ESSCOLAM-10 that we're using on
the EVLA L, S and C-Band feeds has a dielectic loss of 3.0 (the ESCCOLAM
8 we use on the VLBA was 2.8) and the loss tangent is 0.009. The 15 mil
RA7906 used on the EVLA X, Ku, K, Ka and Q-Band (as well as W-Band on
the VLBA) has a dielectric constant of 1.55 and a loss tangent of
0.0005. So the RA7906 is much better microwave-wise than 3T20 but we
might be getting kind of close to its mechanical limits for a big feed.

There is some question as to whether the VLBA C-Band radome has a 24 mil
thickness or a 15 mil. I've found old purchase orders for 5ft x 5ft x 24
mil material and 1.5ft x 1.5ft x 15mil material, which sounds
suspiciously like an L vs. C-Band feed dimension. Vivek says he does not
believe the VLBA exhibits any ripple similar to the one seen on the
EVLA. I don't know enough about the size of the linear VLBA feed versus
the compact EVLA feed, but I suspect the VLBA feed has a somewhat
smaller path length and thus, if it had a ripple, its period would be
somewhat longer in period and might be hard to distinguish over a 500
MHz bandwidth. But, it might be worth investigating whether we can get a
thinner ESSCOLAM-10 material for the EVLA C-Bands (i.e., 15 vs 24 mil).

It turns out that Ed Szpindor ordered some 3T20 radome material from
Gore back in the early days of the EVLA Project hoping to use it for the
high frequency receivers (about 8m x 45" x 18mil). When we started using
it on some of our early K-Band receivers for the EVLA, I discovered that
it added a fair bit of loss (about 5K) and was just plain awful at 86
GHz (added about 15K). It was obviously not prime radome material for
any receiver above X-Band. According to the Gore salesman (before they
stopped making RA7906)...

"We have tested the 3T20 in a 4.5 meter antenna at 14.250 Ghz frequency
and saw no real reduction in it's performance. At higher frequencies I
would expect higher losses. I always let people know of this when I
discuss the new product but their are some advantages with the new
material. One is the price, two is the width, three is the durability,
fourth is that it can be heat welded to create a seam."

Alas, they do not provide any RF information (dielectric constant or
loss tangent) and I have had no luck on finding anybody who has tested
it (the CSIRO were the ones who had measured the RA7906 performance for
them). But it might be worth trying to use at C-Band. I suggest the next
C-Band that goes out have a 3T20 radome installed. We might want to try
some measurements with ESSCOLAM-10, as well as no radome at all, for
comparative purposes. Obviously, doing this in dry weather would be a
good idea.

-Bob H.