[evlatests] EVLA Antenna Feed Moisture Condensation Conflaguration

Peter Napier pnapier at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 28 10:49:57 EDT 2008

Just to throw another idea into the pot I mention the following. Mark
and I were recently on a review panel for the Large Millimeter Telescope
(LMT) and saw an interesting idea for moisture control. The panels for
LMT are aluminum honeycomb with surfaces of electro-deposited nickel.
The panels are not very strong and cannot withstand changes in
barometric pressure without bulging and losing their surface accuracy,
so the panels have to be vented to ambient air to equalize inside and
outside pressure. Since the LMT is at 4600 m temperatures are generally
low and any moisture ingress into the panel during the barometric
breathing would be devastating with the panels soon being destroyed by
freeze-thaw cycling. LMT's solution to this problem is to have a vent
hole which has a thin membrane of Goretex over it. The Goretex lets the
air through but keeps the water vapor out. After an initial purge with
dry air the Gortex essentially does the same job as a desiccant with the
advantage that it does not need to be maintained. Worth considering.

Peter

Peter Napier
NRAO, PO Box 0, Socorro NM 87801
Ph 505 8357218, Fax 505 8357027