[evlatests] C-Band Sensitivity Troubles

Charles Kutz ckutz at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:04:53 EDT 2008

We definitely have a moisture problem.

The guys looked down into the K-Band feed of antenna 5 and found water
on the receiver window and trapped in the rings. Dried it out the best
that they could. We did not have the opportunity to look at the other
discrepant K-Bands due to rain.  We do not think that there is much of a
mystery here.

Antenna 24's C-Band had a fair amount of water on the window also. The
guys dried the window, but due to rain, there was no opportunity to
remove the feed cover and get serious about drying out the feed.

In both instances, the amount water could not be used to determine if
the cause was due to leaks or condensation. In either case, positive
pressure dry air would go a long way in preventing this.