[evlatests] C-Band Sensitivity Issues

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:42:55 EDT 2008

    The data shown by Emmanuel yesterday morning indicated that many or
most EVLA antennas are performing far short of requirements at C-band,
and there is some evidence that the more recent antennas are less
sensitivity that the older ones.
    I took some data yesterday afternoon at L, C and X bands to
investigate this issue a bit.  The primary goals were to see if the
spread in sensitivity could be correlated with system temperature, and
if any correlations could be seen in performance with band.

    A)  X-Band.  This band is useful as a diagnostic, as the receivers
are unchanged between EVLA and VLA, and there is minimal electronics.
    The EVLA sensitivity requirement is for the antenna SEFD to be 300
Jy (or, Tsys/effic. = 53K).
    The data from yesterday show that eleven antennas (9 EVLA, 2 VLA)
antennas are performing near, or better than, this level.  Recent EVLA
antennas numbered 1, 2, and 4 are in this group.  Eight antennas (5 VLA,
3 EVLA) are high by about 10% (not bad) -- recent EVLA antenna #1 is in
this group.  Five antennas are high by 20 to 30% (3 VLA, 2 EVLA).
    Two antennas are particularly poor:
    17 is high by a factor of about two on all four IFs.   The Tsys is
claimed to be 130K, so this is the likely cause.
    25 is high by a factor of nearly three.  Tsys is claimed to be 25K
-- so the receiver is likely o.k.

    Overall -- EVLA performance is better than VLA, and although the
mean sensitivity is a bit worse than spec (320 Jy, cf. requirement of
300 Jy), there's no reason for alarm.

    B) C-Band.  Here the EVLA requirement for SEFD is 245 Jy (this is a
tough spec!), equivalent to Tsys/effic = 44K.

    As noted yesterday, *none* of the EVLA antennas meet this spec --
not even close.  The best four antennas are all 'old' EVLA antennas (13,
14, 16 and 18) -- their mean SEFD is 310 Jy.    The average SEFD over
all the EVLA antennas (excluding two which are clearly discrepant) is
about 380 Jy.  Pretty poor.
    The mean SEFD amongst VLA antennas is definitely worse than that of
the EVLA -- about 440 Jy, with a remarkable spread, from about 350 Jy
(for 27, 20, and 22) to 540 Jy (6, 8, 10, and 15).  There is good
evidence that most of the variation amongst the VLA antennas is due to
system temperature, as there is a good correlation between the claimed
Tsys and the SEFD values.

    I have searched for a similar correlation between SEFD and Tsys for
EVLA antennas -- and although I believe there is one, it's crystal clear
that the recorded values of Tsys are only approximately correct:
    a) The four best EVLA antennas all have  believable Tsys values --
about 30K.
    b) All other EVLA antennas have recorded Tsys values which are far
too high -- typically 80 to 100 K.  But these are not believable numbers
-- (the SEFDs are not THAT bad), and there is little correlation between
the Tsys values and the SEFDs.

    It is probable that the existing Tcal values are incorrect, leading
to incorrect Tsys.    It is difficult to diagnose problems in
sensitivity without believable Tsys values, so I think it important that
we get modern, correct values of the Tcals into the EVLA parameters
database.

    Three antennas are particularly poor, and could use quick attention:

    12:  SEFD = 700,  with a (believable) Tsys = 75.  (
     19:  SEFD = 900 (four times too high!), with a claimed Tsys of 190
-- this could be close to correct.
    24:  SEFD = 600, with a claimed Tsys of 50 (better than most!).