[evlatests] Frequency offsets between calibrator & target

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 31 21:41:48 EST 2008

The earlier message is appended. Corrections are based on
recent tests.

The explanation we offered for why the VLA "worked OK in the
past" is not valid. We (ie Ken and I) now think that the VLA
would have always done this. If you believe otherwise, send me
the project code of archival data and I might take a look as
time permits. The cure in the present era is to observe with
the same frequency for cal and target  (preferably fixed for
the whole observation).

To summarize the tests done:

test 1: observe a given calibrator with various frequency offsets,
(few KHz), verify that there is a phase offset between settings.

test 2: observe as before, with the VLA round-trip LO correction
disabled; no change in behavior.

test 3: I tried the correction that I suggested previously -

For the VLA the WGDELAY is in the parameters database, and for
the EVLA the corresponding FIBERDELAY. I extracted these numbers,
turned them into antenna phase corrections with the recipe given
in the previous email, and applied them in CLCOR opcode 'PHAS'.
In my test data, with upto 10KHz offsets, this removed the effect.
The VLA and EVLA had to be corrected with opposite sign (we think
we understand why, I won't go into it here).

Trying this recipe on Crystal's data (on a pair of calibrators
observed ~60KHz apart) did not work too well, I suspect because
I know the outbound LO delay only to ~1usec, insufficient to
correct her data with ~MHz offsets.

end of round 2.