[evlatests] System Status from last night

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 17 12:50:08 EST 2008

    We are now making up an automated 'stress check', to be run by
operations.  The prototype version of this ran last night, with the
following results.  There were two short observations made at each band.

    A)  As reported by Ken, 19A, C and D, and 18B are all working very
badly.  I presume their problems will be resolved today.

    B)  Antenna 1 was just moved, and the pointing is off by at least 6
arcminutes.  This is clear in the data.  IF 'D' is not functioning at
any band.

    C)  Observations which follow P-band are not being flagged
correctly.   Ken explains that this is due to large changes in the FIR
filter not being correctly executed, and recommends that a 'dummy'
observation follow any P-band observations (for files like this where
bands are being changed).

    D) Antenna 13 is not pointing well, or consistently, at K or Q
bands.  But referenced pointing (done at X-band) works fine.  At both
bands, system gains were significantly different between the two scans.
It acts as if there is a variable collimation error, large enough to
influence these bands only.

    D) Sensitivities:  The following antennas gave poor sensitivies,
listed by band.  (I have omitted antennas 1, 18, and 19).
       L-Band:  Antenna 21 in RCP only (IFs A and B) -- weak by a factor
of 3.
       K-Band:  Antenna 25, down by a factor of 6 to 10 at all IFs.
This is a known problem, apparently due to high system temperature.
       Q-Band:  Antenna 27, IF 'A' only, down by a factor of 4 for the
first scan only.

    I will repeat this test after the basic issues involving antennas 1,
18, and 19 are resolved.