[evlatests] Consequence of IAT clock error

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 8 11:19:13 EST 2008

    The clock error which was found and corrected yesterday appears to
have resulted in the following:

    a) A loss of ~ 25% in sensitivity on EVLA to VLA baselines
    b) Closure errors of up to 100% on EVLA to EVLA baselines.

    Hence, data taken from the time the clock error began (probably
Thursday during maintenance time -- but this has yet to be established)
until its correction (during software time yesterday) are severely
compromised.  Users should flag their EVLA to EVLA baselines.  EVLA to
VLA baselines do not show any closure problems, but are reduced in
sensitivity.  VLA to VLA baselines are unaffected.

    I believe that the new 'L350 1PPS' device, soon to be implemented,
should eliminate this kind of mis-timing.  Testers should note that by
far the easiest way to detect this problem is to set the closure report
level (within CALIB) at 50% or so.  (I had discontinued looking at
closure myself because of the large number of moderate level (10 -- 20%)
errors from the bandpass mismatch problem was cluttering up the screens).