[evlatests] Closure, Dynamic Range, and Aliasing

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 20 18:37:08 EST 2008

    I have carefully reduced a 7.5 hour observation of the prominent
source 3C273, taken at X-band on 29 December, for the purpose of
examining whether the EVLA antennas have a higher, or more variable
'closure' corrections.    The observations were taken in mode 'PA', with
12.5 MHz BW, with 16 channels for each of the four correlations.  Each
channel is hence 0.78 MHz wide.

    3C273 is ideal for 'closure' studies for three reasons:

    1) It is very strong, with a 33 Jy unresolved nucleus, which makes
calibration and self-calibration very easy.
    2) Is has a well known , and relative faint, one-sided extended
jet.  This is useful to see if the quality of the images are as they
should be.
    3) It is at a declination of only +2 degrees.  This means that all
the (u,v) tracks are nearly perfectly horizontal, which has the very
useful consequence (for people like me) that constant offset errors in
the visibilities (a.k.a. 'closure') are readily visible in the image as
a vertical 'stripe'.  [This effect of geometry is a nuisance for real
astronomers, but provides a vital clue for diagnosticians].  The
presence of closure errors, and the effectiveness of their removal via
processing, are readily apparent from the image.

    The short answer (for the impatient) is that the EVLA antennas are
perfectly equivalent to VLA antennas in terms of sensitivity and imaging
capabilities.  There is no indication that closure is higher, or more
variable amongst the EVLA antennas than on the VLA antennas.

    However, the full story is more complicated.  The statement above
applies only to those channels numbered 3 through 9.  For higher
numbered channels (the baseband end) the effects of the now-infamous
aliasing are increasingly seen.  Note that in this experiment, channel
10 is ~4.7 MHz from the edge frequency!   Great care must be taken in
interpreting this statement, however -- the precision in the imaging is
of order 300,000:1 -- so the aliasing effects are very small indeed at
this distance from the baseband.    Read on, for a deeper understanding.

    A)  Calibration

    The data were of excellent quality, with 27 antennas operating
smoothly.  There were 13 EVLA antennas, and 14 VLA antennas -- a very
convenient balance for comparison of imaging and sensitivity.  As the
data were taken at X-band, where the EVLA receivers are identical to
those of the VLA, we are expecting equivalent results for the two arrays.

    Observations of 3C273 (a 33 Jy quasar with a famous one-sided jet)
were taken in 76 5-minute long scans.  In addition, we observed the flux
density calibrator 3C286 seven times, each of 2 minutes duration.
Overhead took up the rest of the time.
    Very little flagging was required, and I was very stringent in the
application of these flags.  Anything that appeared less than perfect
(in amplitude and phase, for each of the 16 channels, in all four
correlations) was rubbed out.  No mercy was shown.  Probably less than
1% of all the data were removed via flagging.

    A bandpass caliabration was made, separately for each scan, for each
source.  Inspection showed no evident variability in the bandpasses,
either in time, or between sources.  (A closer inspection, using a
differential method, is probably warranted, but has not yet been done).

    B) Imaging

    I generated the 'ideal model' by extracting channel 8 data, and
performing the usual routine of antenna-based calibration and
baseline-based (closure) corrections.  The resulting image has almost
300,000 ratio between the noise far from the source, and the peak of the
quasar emission.  This is as good as any image I have made of this
source in the past.  The length of the jet (about 15 arcseconds) is a
little too long for this B-configuration -- 'echos' of the jet are seen
extending north and south, at a level of about .1% of the jet.
    The amplitude and phases of the closure corrections are very small
-- typically 0.1%, and 0.05 degrees.  The maximum closure errors are
about 1%, and 1 degree -- and these seem to be associated with VLA-VLA
baselines.   A single closure correction was made for the entire 7.5
hour run -- no attempt to make it time-variable (a tempting but
dangerous procedure) was made.
    After applying the 'closure' corrections, the 'Channel 8' image
showed *no* residual 'closure' stripe -- indicating that to the level of
the noise, the closure errors are indeed constant over the length of the
observation.

    This 'ideal model' was then used for each channel, separately.  I
produced a Hanning-smoothed file for each channel from 2 through 14
(channels 1 and 15 can't be properly smoothed, but nobody should use
them anyway).  Each of these 13 databases was then calibrated (both
antenna-based, and baseline-based) ysubg the best model generated from
channel 8.   An image (using all antennas, and including all
corrrections) was made for each of these 13 separate files.  The results
immediately showed we have a problem at the high end of the band:
       The RMS noise, away from the source, was (including ALL antennas):
    - 0.25 mJy in channel 2,
    - 0.17 mJy in channels 3 and 4,
    - 0.16 mJy in channel 6 through 9,
    - 0.17 in chan 10,
    - 0.18 in ch 11,
    - 0.26 in ch 12,
    - 0.47 in ch 13, and
    - 2.96 (!) in chan 14.
    More importantly, the 'north-south' residual closure line is absent
in channel 2 through 9, appears faintly in channel 10, and steadily
increases in magnitude through channel 14.
    To establish whether this rise at the high-frequency end was due to
aliasing, or due to something associated with the mis-matched bandpass,
I made images of the VLA-only, and EVLA-only, baselines for these
channels.
    In channel 8, the rms noise, and the two images, are exactly
equivalent -- rms - 0.31 mJy.  The VLA x EVLA baseline image has noise
0.21 mJy -- exactly as it should be, given there are twice the number of
bsselines.  More importantly, there is no sign of the North-South
closure 'line' in any of these images.
    As I go up in frequency towards the baseband end, the difference
between EVLA and VLA-only images dramatically worsens.  For channel 10,
the rms's are 0.31 and 0.34 for VLA and EVLA.  For channel 12, it is
0.30 and 0.54 mJy.  For channel 14, it is 0.63 and 2.42 mJy.  (All these
are with the closure errors determined from those particular channels
removed -- the difference are considerably greater without closure
corrections).
    More importantly -- the VLA-only closure-corrected images show no
sign of residual closure errors (seen as an absence of the north-south
stripe), while for EVLA-only images, the vertical stripe becomes
dramatically larger and larger.  What this means is that the closure
errors in the EVLA-EVLA baselines are variable in these high-numbered
channels, while those for VLA-VLA baselines remain constant (and hence
are nicely removed through the baseline-based calibration).

    All this is exactly as expected from a small 'aliased' contribution
which (vectorially speaking) is slowly rotating w.r.t. the in-band
signal.  (I may try a time-variable baseline-calibration, to see if I
can remove the observed residual).  What has surprised me is that the
effects are still seen nearly 5 MHz away from the edge.  However, be
careful in interpreting this -- the effects are very subtle indeed -- at
the level of 0.001% or less -- and can only been seen in a source like
this one, at a declination of essentially zero.

    Returning to the 'safe' channels (3 through 10):  I concatenated
these eight single-channel databases, each of which were individually
calibrated, to make a single image.  The noise, away from the structure,
was 96 microJy (compared to a peak of  31.3 Jy).  There was no hint of a
vertical closure stripe.  A lovely image.
    I then split these same channels from the  originating spectral-line
file, to a single-channel file, utilizing the bandpass solutions, then
followed the same self-calibration path.   The difference in this
approach is that the eight channels are handled as a block, with no
separate solutions for each.
    An image was then made, with the same rms noise as the concatenated
single-channel file.  This is a very satisfying result -- it
demonstrates that the 'closure errors', (away from the channels
containing the aliased response), are independent of the channel
number.  A single 'closure' correction will serve for all channels.

    The polarization data will be reported on separately.