[evlatests] Antennas 4 and 24, plus antenna efficiency.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 23 11:29:23 EST 2008

    Reviewing the spectral line data, some more information on 4-band
antennas:

    Antenna 24 has a warped bandpass on all IFs, particularly in IF A.
The signal is very weak, although I think the polarization is correct.

    Antenna 4 has a strongly sloped bandpass shape on IFs B and D only.
IF 'D' is especially notable -- the lower 1/3 of the bandpass has no
source spectral power at all.

    I've also gotten a reasonable estimate of the efficiency now.
Source 3C123 provides about 400 Jy in spectral flux density, enough to
use the 'correlation coefficient' method to determine Tsys/effic.
All the antennas whose polarizations are correct give about the same
value -- about 7000K.  If we believe that Tsys is given by the
brightness temperature shown on all-sky maps for the direction towards
3C123 (not an obvious truth -- the forward beam efficiency is very
likely less than 50%, so most of the power seen is coming from somewhere
else ...), then Tsys ~ 2100K.  The efficiency then is about 0.30.

    The Tsys/effic towards Cygnus A is much higher -- about 12000K.
This is expected, as Cygnus is centered in a very bright region of the
galactic plane, giving a much higher Tsys.