[evlatests] Initialization problems

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:57:39 EDT 2008

    I've been running numerous tests over the past 3 days, to prepare
for the upcoming 'flux densities run'.

    All of these tests involve short observations of multiple sources at
multiple frequencies and bands.  For all these tests -- with a single
exception--  the first observation is at P-band, in continuum, with
requested frequencies of 327.5 and 307.5 MHz, and a bandwidth of 3.125
MHz.

    But for all of these tests, the actual frequency observed *on the
initial* P-band observation, was *not* at the requested frequencies.
For four of the five test runs which started with a P-band source, the
actual frequencies observed on the initial observation was 4.6874 MHz
too high.  For the other test, the observed frequencies were 23.4375 MHz
too high.  These two numbers are half the bandwidth below 6.25 and 25
MHz respectively -- seemingly indicating that the system is
'remembering' a setup from an earlier observation?

    But it's a bit more curious than this, however.  In all five of
these tests, the first two records -- both flagged were at the correct
frequency.  The system then jumped to the incorrect frequencies, at
which it stayed for the entire length of the initial scan. All
subsequent observations at this band were at the correct frequencies.

    Finally -- the one test that did not start at P-band ran correctly
at all bands (including the initial observation, which was at K-band).

    Until this issue is sorted out, we must emphasize to our users to
continue to utilize a 'dummy scan' at the beginning of their observe
files.