[evlatests] 'Bleeding' with rapid switching mode

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 27 21:33:41 EDT 2008

    Greg Taylor called this evening to report that using 'fast
switching' mode causes a faint, false image of the calibrator to appear
in the target image.  He reports that a mild 'QUACK' removes the problem.

    This should reminiscent of a problem we used to have, but also of a
known problem we have now -- most source observations have an initial
record which clearly belongs to the preceding source.   With 'fast
switching', every source's preceding observation is a calibrator, so I
wonder if this 'misplaced record' problem is responsible for the
reported ghost image.

    It's important that our current users know about this -- the current
excitement over the SGR source has much time being used in
fast-switching mode ..., and we wouldn't want a reported detection to be
only the ghost of the preceding calibration.