[evlatests] C-band Sensitivity Oscillation

Emmanuel Momjian emomjian at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:40:41 EDT 2008

Multi-frequency and multi-band test observations have been carried out
on Sunday to look into the oscillation in sensitivity which was
initially found on the EVLA antennas in C-band.

The test included observations at L, C, X, K and Q bands. The observed
frequency range in each band was set by appropriately scaling the effect
seen at C-band to the other frequency bands (i.e. scaling by the sizes
of the feed horns). For proper sampling, each of the frequency ranges
were observed using ~30 different frequency settings.

The results show that the oscillation in sensitivity phenomenon, which
is on the scale of 10%, is seen only on the EVLA antennas and only in
C-Band.

Emmanuel

Rick Perley wrote:
>     We have long noted that IF#1 at C-band had slightly (~5%) poorer
> sensitivity than IF#2 for EVLA antennas.   Recent tests showed that this
> is not an effect due to the IF -- swapping frequencies caused the
> sensitivity difference to change.  Furthermore, the effect is not seen
> at X-band, nor for the VLA antennas at C-band.
>
>     Emmanuel ran a test last night to clarify the picture.  He tuned the
> array from 4.80 through 5.05 GHz, in 5 MHz steps, using 6MHz continuum.
> The sensitivity for each frequency was derived via the correlation
> coefficients.
>
>     We find a remarkable sinusoid oscillation in sensitivity, for all
> IFs, for all EVLA antennas, over the entire bandwidth surveyed.  The
> amplitude of the oscillation is about 10% (in Tsys/effic), the period is
> close to 90 MHz.  If due to a standing wave, the length is 1.7 meters --
> about the length of the C-band horn?
>
>     We stumbled upon this because the default frequencies -- 4885 and
> 4835 MHz, just happen to lie on the peak and trough of the standing wave...

Dr. Emmanuel Momjian
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
P. O. Box O
Socorro, NM 87801