[evlatests] Preliminary K, Ka, Q band tests on antenna 2

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sun Aug 24 12:41:16 EDT 2008

    Bob Hayward and I performed the usual suite of antenna sensitivity
tests on antenna 2 at K, Ka, and Q bands last Friday, August 21.  This
is the 2nd antenna outfitted at Ka band -- this particular antenna was
chosen because it was known to be a good performer at Q-band, which is
good evidence its optics and antenna surface are in good alignment.   We
were fortunate in that Friday was a clear, dry day, with no clouds and a
dew point in the low 40s.

    The motivation behind these detailed tests (we normally only do
these for a new band/receiver on a single antenna) is that our June
tests done on the first Ka-band receiver, on antenna 4, showed clear
evidence for an excess 7 to 10K system temperature that does not
originate in the receiver, nor from the the atmosphere.  This excess was
present in K, Ka, and Q bands.  In addition, we found -- again at all
three bands -- an apparently external source of variable broadband
emission, which caused system temperature to erratically vary at the 1
to 2 K level.

    The results from our Friday tests are preliminary, but are
sufficiently clear that this short note is warranted.

    1) The `spillover' power on antenna 2 is 5K to 10K *less* than on
antenna 4 at all three bands.   The other power contributors (receiver
temperature and atmospheric emission) are similar on both antennas.

    2) There is no sign whatever of a variable external broadband signal
on antenna 2.

    3) The Ka band efficiency for antenna 2 is about 45%, similar to
that of antenna 4.

    In short -- antenna 2 is a spectacular performer (easily meeting the
project requirements for sensitivity) at all three bands.
    There is thus strong evidence that antenna 4 has two issues in want
of explanations:

    1) The source of the excess 'spillover'.  A possible, worrisome
candidate is resistive losses on the subreflector.  In other words, it
is not a perfect reflector.  It takes a very small reduction in
reflectance to notable increase system temperature -- a 7K increase
would be due to only 3% of the subreflector surface being replaced by a
blackblody emitter.   Careful holography might be able to detect the
reduction in taper illumination which would accompany such an effect.

    2) The source of the erratic broadband emission.    It is surely
external to the antenna -- but if so, it is either far enough away from
antenna 2 (at E5), and close enough to antenna 4 (W9), or was
conveniently not emitting on Friday.  If the former hypothesis is true,
it is evidence the emitter is close to W9, and likely located on the
west side of that antenna.