[evlatests] end of an era

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 24 18:18:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Bryan Butler wrote:

>  the MODCOMPs have been shut off!

Bryan seems to have stolen my thunder.

The Modcomps were indeed powered down this at two 'o clock
this afternoon.  Fred and I agreed to leave them intact for
a week or two just in case I want to retrieve anything else,
and then we will salvage the bits that might be useful and
leave the rest for the trash bin.  After all the talk of
wasting power I was disappointed to see that the UPS power
output went from 103 kW to 97 kW when the Modcomps were
turned off.  The correlator and chillers and pumps are
clearly the largest part of the load.

We must be close to a record for the longest running software.
There were bits of code written by Barry, Gareth, Bill Randolph
and me in 1974 that were still running only little changed
when the MOdcomps were abandoned in June of 2007.