[evlatests] Still more on spectral line noise

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 17 10:26:52 EDT 2008

    All tests reported here were done with 3.333 second integration,
except for the 780 kHz BW observations -- these were at 6.67 seconds.

    The constant correlator coefficients indicate that the actual SNR
remains the same.  The simplest explanation for the oddities at 12.5 MHz
BW, when in spectral line modes, is that somehow the actual integration
time is significantly less than 3.33 seconds, or that the actual
channelwidth is significantly less than the value claimed.

    I've looked at the sequential visibility amplitudes and phases --
they change from record to record in entirely normal ways.  The
bandpasses look entirely normal.

    The effect is identical for VLA and EVLA antennas.

    The noise in the images of the blank field (and of the calibrator
too!) are completely consistent with the histograms.

    The earlier PA mode data (taken with 12.5 MHz BW) which revealed
this problem, included observations of 3C286, which showed normal
polarized flux, and normal PCAL solutions.  Everything looks normal --
except the noise ...