[evlatests] Curious Problem with Polarization Spectral Line Mode

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sat Apr 12 19:17:35 EDT 2008

       As I reported earlier, use of polarization spectral line mode
('PA') clearly demonstrated that the residuals seen in Q and U images of
an unpolarized source observed in the continuum modes are due to
'closure errors' (baseline-dependent offsets) due to the mis-matched
bandpasses.

    In preparing a proper report on this, I made images of the source
OQ208, at X-band, with data taken in mode 'PA'.   The data were filled
as corrrelation coefficients, and calibrated using the known flux
densities of OQ208 and 3C286.  (Both sources are in the database).  The
data used for the images were a sum of 11 channels, each of 780 kHz.
All images appear noise-limited -- but the noise in the I and V images
was exactly twice that in Q and U!  As the I and V visibilities are
computed from the sum and difference (respectively) of the RR and LL
correlations, while the Q and U visibilities arise from similar
combinations of the RL and LR correlations, I checked to see if the
noise in these share the same characteristics.  They do.  Histograms of
the real and imaginary parts of the four fundamental correlations showed
the spread in RR and LL to be twice that of RL and LR.  Using the basic
relations to compute the SEFD from these noises, it's clear that the RL
and LR correlations have the correct noise, while those in RR and LL are
twice the correct value.

    This problem, however, does not occur in the continuum data.  The
observations I took were equally split between 50 MHz continuum, and
12.5 MHz spectral line.  The histograms of the four correlations in
continuum mode are all the same, and all show the correct distribution:
sigma = 20 mJy -- corresponding to an SEFD of 280 Jy for a BW of 46 MHz,
and the time averaging of 3.3 seconds.  Exactly correct, and equal to
the values we determine through the 'stress test' procedures.

    The problem noted above is not due to the summation of the
channels.  I copied out the single, central channel, and determined the
noises with this one alone.  The result is the same as for the sum over
11 channels:  -- the noise histograms are twice as wide in RR and LL
than in RL and LR.  The widths displayed are correct for the cross-hand,
two times too wide for the parallel hand.

    This is not a calibration issue, so far as I can tell.  The PCAL
program, used to determine the cross-polarization, finds the correct
polarized flux -- about 570 mJy for all cases (50 MHz continuum, 780 kHz
single line, 11*780 kHz = 8.6 MHz combined spectral line).  All
procedures utilized were identical.

    Any ideas of what has caused this?