[evlatests] Polarization

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 4 19:22:04 EDT 2008

    I believe we have the polarization problem sorted out.

    A 4.5 hour test was run last night, on 3C147, at 20cm.   Two
continuum setups were used, with bandwidths of 50 and 12.5 MHz, plus the
polarization spectral line mode, at 12.5 MHz BW.   The frequencies were
set at 1485 and 1365 MHz.  (I also observed at 1745 and 1865 MHz --
reports on these will be made later).

    Bottom Line:

    The residual polarization seen in continuum observations is
completely absent in spectral line -- *** providing bandpass solutions
are applied***.   When these are applied, beautiful noise-limited Q and
U images were obtained, where the rms noise levels are 0.01% of the
total intensity.  There are no hints whatever in the image of residual
signal.  The antenna polarizations are constant, and (essentially)
perfectly removed by the software.

    Some More Details:

    The 'lumpy bumpy' polarization residuals that I've showed before are
present, at exactly the same level, in the new continuum data, at both
bandwidths.  And I can generate a similar image from the spectral line
data, provided I form a 'channel 0' without applying a bandpass
solution.   When the bandpass function (derived from the parallel-hand
calibration) is applied, the polarization residual problem is completely
removed.
    This would suggest that the fundamental cause of the problem is in
the bandpass mismatch between the VLA and EVLA.  If so, then calibrating
and imaging using EVLA-only, or VLA-only, data should show a much
reduced effect.  Curiously, this is not the case.  The intra-array
baselines, despite have low parallel-hand closure errors, retain the
polarization offset problem.  I do not have an easy explanation for this
result.