[evlatests] Antenna 17, phase switching, and L-Band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 28 17:23:20 EDT 2007

    We ran another quick stress file, and arranged to have antenna 17's
phase switching turned off.

    I analyzed the results from L-band.  I find:

    1) The 1.67 period pulsing is gone.  Antenna 17 behaves normally now
-- mostly.  The reported Tsys (as found in the AIPS database) is 400K.
This is nonsense, since the antenna sensitivity is close to normal.  The
raw amplitudes from this antenna are too high by a factor of about 3.
Could somebody check the parameters database to see if the values there
are silly?

    2) Antenna 25, which yesterday had a sensitivity too low by a factor
of 10 or more, is now just fine.

    3) Antenna 13 is still in a very sad shape, with antenna sensitivity
(essentially, G/T) low by a factor of more than 10.  The Tsys values are
normal, so the problem lies elsewhere.

    4) Antenna 21, on IFs A and B (i.e., RCP) has low sensitivity by a
factor of about 2.5.  The cause is easily found -- Tsys is too high by
the same factor.

    5) Antenna 16, on IF B has low sensitivity by a factor of two -- and
a correspondingly high Tsys.  Curiously, this is only seen on B, and not
on A.  Normally, Tsys problems affect both IFs from the same polarization.

    6) Antenna 4 is still doing its major dropout thing.  This is
clearly related to Tsys fluctuations, which have the same fast (0.4
seconds) changes on all IFs.  These effects are very large.

    All else looks quite good.

    I suggest that until we find the reason the phase switching is
messing up antenna 17, we leave it turned off for that antenna.