[evlatests] Array Status

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 27 20:03:11 EDT 2007

    The usual stress test, in continuum, was run.  I've looked (so far)
only at L, C, and X bands.  Here are the basic results:

    1) Antenna 17 retains its fast square-wave amplitude pattern -- all
four IFs at all bands.  The period is exactly 1.666 seconds, and the
signal shows three 'up' integrations, followed by one 'down'.  But all
are weaker than they should be, and the antenna's basic sensitivity (as
judged by statistical weights) is low by a factor of four.  The 1.67
second period is that of the Walsh function switching, so there's likely
something wrong there.  We should turn off phase switching to see if
that removes the problem.   This problem has been around for at least a
week, maybe two.

    2) Visibility amplitudes from antenna 13 and 25 are very, very low
at all bands.  The statistical weights show that both antennas have
their sensitivities low by a factor of 200 or more.

    3) VLA antenna 4 remains essentially non-functional at L-band (with
amplitudes showing hundreds of short dropouts over a few minutes, on all
four IFs) , but is o.k. at C and X bands, other than a curious
modulation of the gain on IF 'A' -- like a square wave, with about a 20%
modulation, and 15 second period.

    4) There is all manner of odd amplitude instabilities, on timescales
of minutes, at L-band almost exclusively.  As badly behaving antennas at
L-band seem to work fine at C-band, I suspect external RFI which is
messing with the Tsys, or maybe the correlation coefficient.  No time to
check, yet.

    5) There were EVLA to VLA phase jumps at L-band, on IFs A and C
only, upon change of scan with no change in source, frequency, or
bandwidth.  The characteristics are identical to what I have reported
last week.  Barry will be looking at this problem, when time permits.
As always, we cannot tell which array is responsible.

    6)  Other than the 'global' phase jumps, all phases look relatively
normal.

    7) Flagging was generally reasonable, except for the initial L-band
observation (which was the first in the  test), where all EVLA antennas,
except 11, had bad data which were not flagged for one minute before
good data began.  VLA antenna 8 also had some early bad, unflagged,
data.  Weird.

    8) The last 1 second of all three scans (L, C, X) band had low
amplitudes.  Each of these events preceded a change in band.

    9) The 'short shallow drop' problem remains with us.  This is
uniquely identified with EVLA antennas, and the higher numbered ones
seem to be more prone to this behavior.  The characteristics are always
the same:
       - the amplitude drops, for a single 0.418 second integration, by
~15%.
       - the effect always occurs together on the two polarizations
within any given IFpair.  That is, A and C always drop together, as to B
and D.  But the drop behavior on the two different pairs is entirely
uncorrelated.
       - There is no phase effect whatever.
       - - It's not a common problem -- at most about one drop in 30
seconds (about 1% of the data, at most).  The overall effect on
astronomers' maps is negligible.

     10)  EVLA antenna 14 has erratic, unstable amplitudes.  There is no
regularity to the problem, and there are varying timescales, probably
indicating varying causes.  I'll have to make some plots for viewing.