[evlatests] [Fwd: Re: Antenna 4 -- Gone Wild! ... Fixed!]

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 20 15:35:08 EDT 2007

Hi Rick.  There had been reports of problems at X (especially),
C, and P bands on ant04.  A bunch of us went out there with a
spectrum analyzer yesterday and today & determined that the
P-band problem was due to very strong, intermittent RFI at
340.125 MHz.  It seems to be coming from the SE, the direction
of the WSMR.  I will be checking with them to find out if they
are doing anything new.

The problems at C and X band seem to have been caused by a
wildly-oscillating P-band front end.  It was putting out many
spurious signals throughout X, and C.  (We didn't check L,
but considering the superfluity of signals we saw from
7 - 9 GHz (looking via the X-band FE), I wouldn't doubt that
the P-band FE was generously providing RF down at lower frequencies
too).  The P-band was seen to be generating a strong tone in
C-band just above 5 GHz as well.

The P-band has been de-powered until John McClendon can find
and install a replacement.

PS:  The 340 MHz P-band RFI was still there after we pulled
the plug on the naughty P-band front end.  (We had a UHF antenna
and pre-amp to go with the spectrum analyzer, so we weren't
relying on the VLA P-band receiver for our look at the UHF
world.)

-Mert