[evlatests] Antenna 4 -- Gone Wild!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 20 13:12:48 EDT 2007

    The 'stress test' has revealed some very peculiar behavior with VLA
antenna 4.  It makes little sense to me -- I describe what I see, in the
hope that others can see through the fog ...

    a) P-Band:  There are no fringes, and all data are flagged.

    b) L-Band:  Short dropouts are seen on all four IFs.  The duration
of any drop is a single .416 second integration.  The amplitude of the
drop is typically a factor of two.  There is no phase effect.  The
frequency of the drops is about once every 10 seconds -- but there is no
regularity.  All four IFs drop at the same time.  These are the same
characteristics that I have noted before.
          In addition to these, there are 'extra' phenomena on IFs A and
C only -- short (few record) amplitude *rises* of a couple seconds
duration.  Similar effects may be in B and D, but are less clear.  These
perturbations may be correlated with very odd Tsys behavior.
          None of these bad data were flagged.

    c) C-Band.  Everything looks quite normal at C-band -- except that
IF 'A' shows a regular 'beat' in amplitude, dropping by about 3% over ~5
seconds, then abruptly returning to the normal level.  The 'beat' period
is about  20 seconds.  There is no corresponding effect in Tsys, so this
originates in the correlation coefficient.  No data were flagged.

    d) X-Band:  IFs B and D are entirely normal.  But in IF 'A', we
again see the 'beat', but the sense of it is reversed -- the antenna has
about 10 seconds in the low state, then about 5 second in a higher,
normal, state.  The amplitude of the beat is much higher -- about a
factor of 2.  In IF 'C', the gains are low by a factor of 10, and there
are intermittent short (few seconds) pulses of normal amplitude.  Tsys
values of IF 'A' are fixed at 203K, and are large and erratic in IF
'C'.    No data were flagged.

    e) U, K, Q bands.  All is normal at these bands.