[evlatests] Aliasing in narrow-BW observations

Mike Revnell mrevnell at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 10 13:52:21 EDT 2007

With DSP there always seems to be some kind of trick and you never know
until you try.

In this case even to explore the possibilities will take a non-trivial
(and completely unknown) amount of work. It needs to be determined how
important this capability is required during the remaining transition
period and a determination on the part of the referees (aka management)
whether the distraction from other projects is justified.

Some background.

The culprit is undoubtedly the second stage of the transition filter.
This filter is implemented with lookup table multipliers in one of the
deformatter FPGAs. It would require reconfiguring the FPGA for a change
of tap weights and recovering any state information lost during the
reconfiguration. The mechanisms are in place to do this and would take
less than a second to accomplish but may take some changes to software.

The phase correction FIR is only 64 taps so probably isn't too useful in
this case.

mike.