[evlatests] Tsys, Tant, and peculiar Gains

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 8 18:24:39 EDT 2007

    Another curiosity, of some potential importance...

    From today's data, I have compared the antenna gains from data
filled two ways:

    a) As correlation coefficients -- data as presented by the correlator
    b) As visibility data seen by the astronomer.  These are correlation
coefficients which have been adjusted for the system temperature and
efficiency.  So far as I know, these are the only factors that should
enter into the computation of the 'peculiar gain' -- the number utilized
by AIPS to convert the corrrelation coefficient into the visibility.

    But this is not true.  In making the comparisons, I noted that at
least two antenna IFs (19A at X-band, and 11B at C-band) had remarkable
differences in gain between the two data versions.  In both cases, the
apparent gains changed by about 10%, on timescales of minutes.  For
antenna 19, the change occured on each side of a referenced pointing
(and it is clear that the referenced pointing is not the origin, as only
IF 'A' changed).  For antenna 11B at C-band, the change occurred
smoothly over 45 seconds of time (and again, no other IF showed this).
In both cases, the changed levels are in the 'astronomer's version' of
the data, and no change in correlation coefficient is seen.  So it is
natural to blame this on an incorrectly computed Tsys.
       But no change in Tsys is seen in either IF for these antennas!
The only other factor that I'm aware of that is included in the
computation of the peculiar gain is antenna efficiency, but this is read
off a table, and can't change over these timescales.
     So -- what has happened?  I looked at the 'peculiar gains', and
sure enough, these do change by the (inverse of the) change in gain.

    What *actually* goes into the calculation of the 'peculiar gain'?