[evlatests] Strange System Temperature Changes

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 5 14:06:02 EDT 2007

    I secured a four-hour observation early this morning (3 to 7 AM) to
further study EVLA polarization behavior.  As usual, I found other
problems, not associated with what I was seeking ...

    The observations were of a single source, cycling through four bands
-- L, C, X, and K.  Data quality in general is quite good.  (Details on
what is not will be reported separately).   Observations were made at
high elevation -- about 60 through 82 degrees, with meridian transit
three hours into the run.

    However,  the C-band calibration revealed a very odd, global, change
in ampliutude over the 4-hour period, in that the antenna amplitudes on
ALL antennas (both VLA and EVLA) dropped by typically 3 - 6 % over the
four-hour period.    For some EVLA antennas (11, 16, 17, 23 and 24), the
effect was considerably less.  All VLA antennas showed the decline at
full amplitude.    The changes were smooth over the timerange.

    The decline is amplitude is clearly associated with an increase in
system temperature.  All antennas recorded a dramatic rise in Tsys, with
the same functional form as the loss in amplitude -- typically rising
from 30 to 50 K through the time period!  By filling the data as
correlation coefficients, it is clear that the SNR was declining
throughout the time period, and that the Tsys correction mostly -- but
not completely -- made the necessary adjustments.

      I then checked the other frequencies:

       a)  No such Tsys variation is seen at L-band.  Everything was
steady.
       b) A similar -- and even larger -- effect was seen at X-band.
       c)  At K-band, there are antennas whose Tsys rose, and others for
which it fell, during the same time frame.

    So what caused this?

       - Weather can be eliminated.  The skies were reported to be
mostly clear, and there was no wind.  Perusual of the 'wunderground'
database shows the site temperature to be steady, and the winds light
throughout.
       - It is not a purely elevation effect.  The antennas rose, then
dropped.  Plotting Tsys, or gain, against elevation shows there is no
direct correlation.  If elevation is involved, there has to be at least
a two-hour lag.    This cannot be due to opacity.
       - It's not due to pointing off the source.  Besides not being
able to make the Tsys rise, the effects are much less noted at K-band.
(See below).

       I can only conclude that the antenna system temperature did
change as reported, that this increase in noise power decreased the
correlation coefficients, which were nearly, but not quite correctly,
adjusted by the synchronous monitoring.
    But as to *why* the system temperatures were changing so
dramatically at X and C bands, on a clear, calm night -- I have no clue.