[evlatests] EVLA and VLA L-band tuning

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:28:04 EST 2007

Those are some very odd VLA results!  For the VLA,
the sky frequency is up-converted to C-band via a
fixed, 3200 MHz LO in the F2 up-converter module.
The L6 LO is then mixed-in to convert to the 1025
MHz IF.  This down-conversion is accomplished at
the F4.  According to the standard, VLA block diagram,
the F4 has a "3750/630 MHz BPF" in-line with
the L6, LO input.  the filter should really kill the
LO power much outside of the 3435 - 4065 MHz range.
Using the closest L6 lock-to frequency on the low end
of 3440 produces a center of sky frequency value of
(3440 - 3200 + 1025) +/- 25 MHz, or 1265 +/- 25 MHz,
indicating that the lowest frequency the VLA should
be able to tune to is 1240-ish.

On the high end, the last L6 lock-to frequency that
can make it through the F4 LO input filter would be
4060, which produces a center of sky frequency value of
(4060 - 3200 + 1025) +/- 25 MHz, or 1885 +/- 25 MHz,
indicating that the highest frequency the VLA should
be able to tune to is 1910-ish.

If the block diagram is correct about the F4 LO input
filter, I can't see how VLA antennas can produce any
output much below 1240 MHz, *maybe* 30 MHz below that
at the absolute minimum.

-Mert