[evlatests] Extended VLA L-band tuning

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 27 17:28:35 EDT 2007

    Last week, the L-band bandpass and bandstop filters were removed
from two VLA antennas -- the identities of which were withheld from me
-- in order to judge the sensitivities of the VLA without filter
protection.

    A test has been run to check the tuning capabilities of the VLA
antennas, without the filters.

    Determining the identities of the two modified antennas was
completely trivial.  They are 5 and 10.

    These two antennas give good strong fringes up to, and including
1875 MHz (against EVLA antennas of course -- no other VLA antennas
survive beyond 1737 MHz).
    A strong birdie is seen at 1800.000 MHz on the VLA.

    Neither antenna 5 nor 10 give fringes at 1900 MHz, but -- curiously
-- antenna 5 does fringe at 1912 MHz.  Neither antenna fringes at any
higher frequency.

    All VLA antennas give fringes all the way down to 1150 MHz.  I
didn't try tune any lower than this.

    Details on sensitivities, etc., will follow later.  I have more
tests to run yet today ...