[evlatests] More on 'closure' corrections

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 29 15:06:43 EDT 2007

    I reported earlier that an image of my target source (a
well-resolved, strong calibrator), made using 'closure corrrections'
established from an unresolved calibrator, improved after using
'self-generated' closure corrections.
    We don't expect this should be necessary, as the origin of these
corrections is in the phase hook of the VLA's bandpasses, which should
know nothing about which source we're looking at.
    I returned to the data, and noted that the errors could also be due
to a faulty, and/or incomplete, self-calibration process.  I then
restarted this from scratch, taking more care to ensure non-physical
components did not enter the models utilized.
    The result of this is that a much better image was generated,
without resorting to 'self-generated' closure corrections.  The image is
far from perfect, but I can plausibly (I claim!) ascribe these to the
short observing time span (2 hours), combined with a  complicated source
structure.
    My current conclusion is that the established closure-correction
procedure, using a clean point-source calibrator, is sufficient.