[evlatests] 'pulsing' data

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Sun Jun 24 18:46:59 EDT 2007

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Ken Sowinski wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Rick Perley wrote:
>
>>    A)  Pulsing Data.
>>
>>    At all bands and all IFs and all sources, at all times, data from
>> most VLA antennas is 'pulsing'.  There are three very clear behaviors:
>
> I had thought to blame this on loss of phase switching synchronization
> for VLA antennas, but looked at the pointing data and so no sign of
> loss of coherence in ten second integrations.  We must look elsewhere
> to explain this.

Rick and I have been looking at this data more carefully and
I am no longer prepared to rule out CMP timing.  An examination
of the pointing data suggests some antennas have a loss of
coherence besides that from poorly set delays.  All the
unaffected antennas have odd DCS numbers less than '20.
These characteristics, and the fact that EVLA antennas are
not affected strongly suggest that the cause has to do with
phase switching for VLA antennas.

Do we have a diagnostic for CMP timing other than funny fringes?