[evlatests] Modcomp-free tests, continuum

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 15 13:22:10 EDT 2007

    The tests yesterday were done at all bands, continuum and line, in
the usual way.

    Some key results from the continuum data (0.418 sec average, 50 Mhz
BW) are reported here.

    In general, data quality is very good.

    All bands (including U-band) work as expected, with the few
important exceptions noted below.

    All problems in phase connected with the delay model (ramps and
cups) are now completely gone.

    A single antenna phase problem is visible:
          Antenna 26 -- all IFs, have remarkable steps in phase, which
occur only on 10-second boundaries.  Not every multiple of 10 seconds
has a step, but most do.  All IFs behave in an identical manner.  The
effect is very clear at K-band, where the step size is typically 50
degrees (the jump is not a constant value).  The effect is present, but
much harder to discern at X-band, typically 10 degrees.  (It may scale
with frequency, but it's not convincing).

    A single antenna amplitude problem is visible:
          Antenna 24, IFs B and D (#2), has a remarkably rhymic
amplitude modulation at all bands.  The signal is also weak -- about
half in amplitude of what it should be.  I'm guessing this is a delay
problem, and the 'rhythm' is due to the movement of the delay beam as it
is advanced forwards (but in the wrong place).  I'll check the spectral
line data shortly to see if this guess pans out.

    Beyond these two specific issues, I find:

    Antenna 13, IF#2 (B and D) was very weak -- essentially dead -- at
all frequencies.

    Antenna 5 got progressively weaker as the frequency went up --
pointing error?  However, referenced pointing was done, and the solution
for 5 looks perfectly fine ...

    At K-band, all worked very well, except for the weak signal from
antenna 5.  But at Q-band, ten antennas were very weak or dead:
17,19,21 (all of which have no receivers), 1,5,14,18,22,26, and 28.  All
of these last seven gave good pointing solutions, so their problems here
are likely to have other origins than pointing.  The remaining antennas
worked very well.