[evlatests] Phased array, modcomp-free : does not work.

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 15 00:09:50 EDT 2007

The test ran 2007-06-14 from 23:54 to 01:10.

X band, 2min scans alternating on two standard calibrators
         0921+622 (autophasing VA mode) and  0903+679 (VX mode)
         integration time 1.6s

Results are truly strange. Apart from "its broken" I offer these
details:

1. There are fringes on every baseline for the last 90sec of Jun 14th.
    Every 10sec the phase jumps to a new value and is flat for 10 sec.
    These fringes are on the VA calibrator, and are about the strength
    expected.

2. For the rest of the run, fringes appear on only baseline 6-13
    and no other baseline. The fringes start at about the expected
    amplitude, gradually fade in amplitude over ~30min, and bounce once,
    as if going through a sidelobe (of an antenna beam or a delay offset
    I cannot tell). I got the az/el out of the monitor data, and they
    looked right - switching between two sources, but I did not check the
    exact numbers.
    Only the VX source shows these fringes, the VA source never fringes
    after the day change.

    For the last 30min I went to 5sec integrations, but the fringes
    stayed dead.

V.