[evlatests] T301 and T302 headroom

Terry Cotter tcotter at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:01:05 EDT 2007

The 4P converter does not meet the Headroom spec as called out in the
project book. The project book spec is 45 dB from 1 dB compression. The
spec it is meeting as measured from the converters built is 38 dB. The
45 dB spec is what Paul measured on a previous converter and I believe
was an error since the converter was oscillating. The question is what
do we need. I asked Chuck what the headroom is of the receiver but he
could not tell me. I believe the problem can be fixed by moving some of
the gain to after the mixer and adding gain to the power detector
circuit. The headroom of the Baseband converter is 30 dB. All of these
converters will have to be retrofitted in the future with the solar
attenuators.

The LSC converter also does not meet the headroom spec in the project
book. Its specification is a little more complicated since three
different receivers are involved. The L-band spec is 44 dB and it is
meeting about 35 dB. The S-band spec is 41 dB and it is meeting about 33
dB. The C-band spec is 39 dB and it is meeting about 31 dB. The headroom
specs are for noise power and the measurements are being made with a CW
signal. There will be some difference with the measured headroom when
noise in injected. There is also some confusion as to the RF input
level. The headroom of the L-band receiver is specified to be 40 dB, the
S-band 38 dB, and the C-band 33 dB. Again the headroom of the Baseband
converter is 30 dB.