[evlatests] L-Band Sensitivity

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 24 17:02:07 EST 2007

    From the AIPS Weights, for the 8 working EVLA antennas, we derive
rough estimates of the sensitivities.  The antenna elevation declined
from 80 to 40 degrees during the test, so I give these rankings at these
extrema.

IFs A and C: (1465 MHz):

El = 80:  Antennas 18, 23, and 24 are typical of VLA antennas.  13, 14,
16 and 17 (and antenna 17A much worse) than any other VLA antenna.
(Antenna 26 was dead for these two IFs) .

El = 40:  Antennas 18, 23 and 24 are better than all other VLA
antennas.  The others remain worse than all VLA antennas.

IF B and D:   (1385 MHz):

El = 80:  Antenna 18, 23 and 24 are again typical of median VLA
antennas.  13 and 16 are typical of the poorer VLA antennas.  14 and 26
are worse than any VLA antenna.  (17B was removed due to the square-wave
phase pattern messing the calibration,  but 17D is about the same as 14
-- quite poor compared to VLA antennas).

El = 40:  The 'golden trio' (18, 23 and 24) are much better than any VLA
antenna.  The other 5 are typical of median VLA antennas.

************************

These results are consistent with the results from the single-antenna
tests done by Bob and me last month on antennas 14 and 24:

a) The EVLA efficiency is lower than the VLA's -- typically 43% compared
to 50%.
b) The EVLA efficiency has a notable variation with frequency:  a maxima
near 1250 and 1850 MHz, and a minimum midway between.  (typically 45% at
peak, 39% at minimum).
c) Antenna 24 has extraordinarily good system temperature (about 25K)
d) Antenna 14 has very poor system temperature (about 35K), a good
portion of which seems to arise after the first stage of amplification.
e) The EVLA antennas have a very much flatter system temperature
variation with elevation than the VLA antennas.