[evlatests] Band Nomenclature

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 12 11:36:50 EST 2007

    I enter this discussion with some trepidation ...

    There's no satisfactory answer.  Any compact descriptor conveys
insufficient information for the uninitiated (or untrained) user.  A
more meaningful descriptor looks like alphanumeric soup.  If we opt for
the former, then we're probably stuck with the old wartime letter
codes.  Users will be required to do their homework.
    If we wanted the latter (and probably it's too late for this, so I'm
just using up bandwidth here), we'd want a system which conveys the
coverage of each frequency band.  So I'd go with something like:  1-2,
2-4, 4-8, ..., 40-50.    Users will only have to be told that the
numbers are frequency in GHz.  This system fails for P and 4 bands,
unless we agree to use MHz as the unit -- which then requires far too
many zeros...  Similarly, a wavelength basis would have to be in
millimeters ...

    Rick