[evlatests] Quick Stress Test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 23 12:33:00 EDT 2007

    I ran a quick check of the system this AM.  Due to limited time
(from Adv. Panel pressures), a careful check by me will not be
possible.  I quickly checked L and X bands -- brief report below:

    1) L-band.  27 antennas operating.  However, IFs A and C, show on
most antennas very large (factors of many) gain variations which are
likely to be due to external interference.  This 'interference' is not
seen on any of the north arm antennas (except slightly, on the two
closest to the center), and is strongly seen on all east and west arm
antennas, with the curious exception of antenna 15, located at E40.
No explanation for this behavior is offered.

    2) X-band.  Unsatisfied with L-band behavior as a useful diagnostic
for system issues, I went to the X-band data.  The situation is much
better here, in that the large gain variations noted above are absent.
But there are some issues to note:
       Antenna 5A was flagged bad, but I think the data are actually
fine, based on a couple of records that 'slipped' through the flagger.
       Antenna 11A and C are showing occasional Short Shallow Drops
(SSDs).  No big deal.
       Antenna 13, Ifs B and D have very clear *gain ramps* -- the
amplitudes decline by about 2% (especially on IF D) over about 5
seconds, then jump back to the previous level.  The effect is also
clearly seen at L-band.
       Antenna 16, IFs A and C have similar gain ramps, but of higher
amplitude (about 10%), and on shorter timescale.  These ones are *not*
seen at Lband, for this antennas.

       Otherwise, things look good, other than ~minute-long 'gain
wobbles' of <1% amplitude, that are seen on many antennas (both VLA and
EVLA), whose origin we will eventually have to track down.   Not a
significant issue at this time (IMHO).

    I have data for an eager volunteer to review, at all the other
bands, and which I cannot do at this time due to other pressures.