[evlatests] u,v,w, and UVFIX

Ed Fomalont efomalon at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:06:45 EDT 2007

Hi Gustaaf et al,

    Thanks for looking into UVFIX.   The pulsar astrometry people first
noticed the differential aberration effect when images taken at
different times of the year showed a stretching of the coordinate system
of about 1 part in 10,000--just noticeable on sources 10' from the field
center at 1.4 GHz.  The uvw calculated from the on-line system, from
John's program and with UVFIX (nodr) are consistent and the u,v,w are in
the coordinate from of the earth center.  UVFIX (dr) converts the u,v,w
to the solar barycenter frame.   By John's program, I guess you mean
CALC.  I think it was agreed many years ago to not change the u,v,w
calculation on line.  Running UVFIX (if nothing else is wrong!) is only
needed for very precise full-beam astrometry.  It is recommended for
full-beam VLA observations at frequencies less than 2 GHz.

    I'm not sure I understand the last little table in your note.  What
is most important is the separation of the point source from the phase
center.  Near the phase center I don't see why UVFIX would have affected
the image amplitude very much since the change of uvw is very small
until the source is many arcmin from the field center.  If there is a
significant change in the image, something else is happening as well.
In the past UVFIX had problems dealing with many channels, IF's etc,
however I think this is all okay.  Check with Eric and Leonia, though,
about this.

    Cheers,  Ed