[evlatests] Aborting scripts causes trouble ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 3 16:39:37 EDT 2007

    Barry reported some troubles when aborting a script while in
2-subarray mode.  This note points out that serious troubles can occur
in 1-array mode too...

    My standard stress-test has two L-band observations at the beginning
-- to test if the 'first scan' problem is truly gone -- followed by P,
C, X, etc.
    In today's test, antenna 11 was missing from the early data -- it
turned out that operations forgot to include it -- so I asked them to
abort the script, add antenna 11, and start it over.  Because of this, I
got two pairs of L-band observations.  Great oddities were found in all
four scans ...

    Scan 1:  No VLA antennas, *** except antenna 4 *** gave any fringes
for the entire 6.3 minutes of this scan.  It's possible the antennas
were unwrapping, and that for some reason antenna 4 was on the right
wrap.  The EVLA antennas came to life right on time.

    Scan 2:  There was 24 seconds of confusion at the beginning
(essentially, the characteristics of the preceding scan continued, then
everybody changed), then all 26 working antennas 'sprang to life'
instantaneously.  The data were fairly stable after this.

    Scan3:  This was the first scan, following the aborted script.  All
antennas gave fringes, but the amplitudes were about 3 times higher than
they should have been, and were very  unstable.  In checking the Tsys, I
saw that the claimed Tsys values were in the hundreds!  About 10 times
too high.  Who knows what the system thought it was doing ...

    Scan 4:  This scan followed the one above, and all was well, with
normal amplitudes and phases for all antennas.

    In fact, this last scan did have one significant curiosity -- the
amplitudes on the A/C side *only* were very unstable, with slow (tens of
seconds) changes by up to a factor of ~50% on most antennas.  Both VLA
and EVLA were affected.  Examination of the Tsys values showed that
these were changing in an apparently parallel fashion.  So it seems the
correlation coefficient was stable, but the synchronous system detected
gradual changes in system sensitivity, and adjusted the correlator
values.  None of this happened on the B/D side.  I suppose we can blame
external influences -- but RFI doesn't behave like this, and I can't
think of any other mechanism which will do this.