[evlatests] Carilli/Reichers problem

Chris Carilli ccarilli at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 25 08:58:01 EDT 2007

Just to document things, following is my report on the
AC861 observations which have been completely wiped-out (32 hours)
due to the current problems at the VLA (this is also true for
70 hours of Dominik Riechers, and will be true for another 60hours
this weekend if the problem isn't fixed, not to mention
any other programs i am unaware of).

Our experiment is to confirm an HCN detection at z=2, hence we
are using the exact same observe file as was used 1.5years ago.
We observe in 4IF line mode with 7 channels per IF at 25GHz.
The current experiment is AC861. The previous was AV284.

Attached are 3 plots:

1. an image of channel 3 from the AV284 from Oct 2005 after
standard calibration.  the image is excellent, and noise limited
at the 0.1 mJy level.

2. an image of channel 3 from AC861 using just the VLA antennas in all
stages (calibration through imaging).  we see artifacts with peak
of 4 mJy level, looking like a circular patter with a +/-
signature around the phase center.

3. an image of channel 3 from AC861 using just the EVLA antennas in all
stages (calibration through imaging). we see the point source that
moves north with freq, with peak of 27mJy.

clearly, the system worked well in Oct 2005, but has produced no useful
data in the last 3 or 4 months, as far as we can tell.

cc