[evlatests] Internally-generated RFI!

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 3 16:06:38 EDT 2007

    A recent observer has reported a remarkable comb of RFI in her data,
taken Sunday afternoon. Lynn Matthews reports a comb, with spacing 39.7
kHz, is on many baselines, but always on antennas 6 and 22 (located at
the end of the west arm).  This immediately raises the suspicion of some
radiator near the barn, LWA, or technical services area, were it not for
an extra, curious fact -- the RFI comb can be made to disappear by
changing the frequency by 1 MHz -- either up or down.

Being a disbelieving sort of guy, I used a 30 minute segment of software
time to repeat a portion of her file.

    Everything reported by is present, precise!  Specifically:

    BW - 781 kHz
    Correlator mode = 2AC
    NChan = 256

    With the center frequency set to 1421.19067 MHz, a remarkable comb
appears all across the spectrum on baseline 6-22, in both polarizations.
    With the center frequency set 1 MHz higher, or lower, and on the
same sources, the comb disappears!!!
    The comb spacing is 40 kHz, nearly exactly.

    The comb is not visible on spacing involving antennas at the end of
the north or east arms.  Thus, it must originate from one of our
antennas (either VLA or EVLA) near the end of the west arm.

    Suggestions?  We need to find out what is going on here.