[evlatests] New Q-Band on Ant 24 and New L & K-Bands on Ant 26

Robert Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 28 19:49:49 EDT 2006

Antenna 24 had its Q-Band receiver (S/N 11) installed today. It appeared
to be cooling happily when we left at the end of the day. The Antenna
Mechanics have yet to align the feed to the sub-reflector. This might
get done tomorrow. If not, then early next week. It also needs its
turn-buckle support brackets but this will *not* restrict antenna movement.

Antenna 26 now has a cold L-Band (S/N 27) as well as a cold K-Band (S/N
11). Alas, since this antenna is awaiting both a LSC and a UX Converter,
the amplified photons are being spewed out all over the Vertex Cabin
floor. Watch your feet when you walk in the door.

Note that this K-Band is the first receiver of its type to sport a new
EVLA Card Cage. It will require a F317 module before switched power will
become available.

By the way, we checked the C-Band on Antenna 18 which had a report of
low total power on the RCP side. It looked fine. Both Ken and Rob
independently checked the T5 read-backs and confirmed it was working.
Maybe there is an intermittent problem that causes the RCP channel to
drop out. We should keep an eye out for any lackadaisical behavior in
the coming days.

We also did a quick look at the X-Band on Antenna 26 which seems to have
lower than normal output power on one channel. If we can believe the RF
TPD in the T304's, the power levels going into the down-conversion
mixers are well within a dB of each other. The imbalance in power may be
occurring after this point.

-Bob