[evlatests] Current status

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 18 19:11:28 EDT 2006

We mainly worked on Antennas 18 and 26 today.  I did not hear of problems
with 24 until we got back to the AOC so we didn't do anything with
it.  Barry - Which L302 did not lock at C-band in 24?  We have one with
some updated firmware Pete and Matt just finished and we want to try it.  I
was wondering where to install it and this sounds like as good a place as any.

Antenna 18:  The same as a couple of weeks ago, we found very low power
from the C-band receiver RCP output. The front end group believes there is
either a broken semi-rigid cable between the dewar and RF box or a post amp
is oscillating.  It is working for now - Brent is having a new cable made
up and will replace it. If the problem recurs, we'll check for the
oscillation with a spectrum analyzer - the receiver may have to be pulled
from the antenna for repair if that is what is happening..

Antenna 26:  The sync problem is fixed - there is confusion on a command in
the new version of the L353 - "Sync Enable" needed to be set to "0" to
enable sync, not "1". This will be corrected in firmware in the near
future. The L305 is now synchronized. Other than that, the antenna is still
sick.  There is insufficient power from the X-band receiver to get
sufficient levels to the digitizers on RCP.  LCP is 3dB higher and works
but is still very marginal. Post amps need to be added to this receiver.
L-Band did not work because the T302 seems to have a problem with the +17V
power supply - likely a blown fuse on the DAQ1. It was brought back for
repair.  K-band is a complete mystery.  The T303 UX Converter, switches and
wiring seem to be fine.  The next step was to check out the receiver and
test the LO cable but we ran out of time. I also noticed there is no dummy
F317 in this antenna to provide 9.6Hz to the new card cage on the K-band
receiver - so even if it was working, there would be no switched power.

Jim