[evlatests] Q-band Status

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 5 16:28:08 EDT 2006

    Five EVLA antennas gave identifiable, stable fringes on all IFs:
13, 14, 16, 18, and 24.  Good Show!

    In terms of sensitivity, it's clear we have some work to do.  Only
antenna 13 shows a sensitivity comparable to median VLA antennas.  The
others are all at the tail end of the sensitivity distribution.  (But
they are not alone -- numerous VLA antennas keep them company).

    I suspect one, or both, of two explanations:

    a) Reference pointing failed.  (I elected to do 'primary' only, and
if the beam is more than ~20 arcseconds off, this will fail).
I neglected to request the pointing solutions from operations -- when I
get these, I'll correlate the results with the sensitivities.
    b) Optics.  We have yet to do the careful focus and subreflector
alignments.  There will also be needed a full panel adjustment, via
holography.