[evlatests] Pointing Tests

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri May 19 23:29:08 EDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Rick Perley wrote:

>   So, after the executor was restarted, and antenna 13 had its L302s
> swapped, we tried the experiment again. This time, things went a
> (little) better.  The antennas tracked, amplitudes and phases were more
> or less as they ought to be.  But not much else worked to plan:
>
>   a) Antennas 13, 14, 16 and 18 gave a pointing solution only once --
> for the first source at X-band.  All subsequent pointing offset
> determinations failed for these antennas (but worked for the VLA
> antennas).  Ken reports to me that the solutions failed because the
> antennas didn't `wiggle' -- they stayed on source when they should have
> been moving to the half power points in az and el.

Rick did not mention that the second attempt was made using subarray 2
while Barry worked in subarray 1 with VLA antennas.  A bit of positive
news is that interim telcal appears to work and give sensible results
when pointing is done in subarray 2.  This is the first time I am aware
of that we used more than one subarray and expected to make use of the
results.