[evlatests] X-band over the weekend

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:58:10 EST 2006

    I elected to use my two test times this weekend to sit on strong
sources, and
watch for long-term stability, and internal (intra-EVLA) characteristics.

    There were two runs, one Saturday morning, one Sunday afternoon.  I used
mode 'PA',  with BW = 12.5 MHz, giving 16 channels for each of RR, RL, LR,
and LL correlations for the 'AC' IFs, at X-band.

    Quick results:

    1)  For both days, antenna 18 in the LCP side *only* is being flagged
against all other antennas *except* antennas 1 and 27.  How can this
happen?  I thought flags were generated on an antenna basis only.  I
refilled the data with all flagging turned off, and the data are there and
of excellent quality (with the caveats noted below).

    2) On Saturday morning, all four EVLA antennas gave stellar
amplitudes and phases (other than short-term variations which are the
same as on VLA antennas, and which presumably are due to the very
high winds -- many VLA antennas were autostowing themselves
throughout, and the whole array was shut down shortly after the end
of the run).

    3) On Sunday afternoon, things were not so good.  Antennas 13 and
18 gave close to normal amplitudes against VLA antennas.  Antenna 16
was down by a factor of 10,  and antenna 14 down by a factor of 3.  But
these two were o.k. with each other.  Do we have timing problems again?

    Rick