[evlatests] L301 Settings at L-Band

Jim Jackson jjackson at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Mar 15 17:37:13 EST 2006

All,

I just realized from Barry's message about L-Band LO frequencies that -
despite repeated warnings from Rob, Terry and myself - you all are still
using 12160 MHz as the LO input to the T302 at L-Band. This is a completely
unsuitable LO frequency for this module due to the 7.5-12.5 GHz filter
located at the input of the T304. 12160 MHz leaks through the mixer in the
T302 and enters the T304 completely un-attenuated, then mixes with the two
LO's in it and makes birdies in the 1-2GHz signal fed to the
digitizers.  Based on measurements in the lab and the specs of the T304
input filter, an L301 setting of 12928 MHz is the lowest we would
recommend,  13184 MHz would be better.

We've been telling people this since the L-Band receiver and first early
T302 prototype were put into Antenna 13.  Please don't bother us with any
further complaints about EVLA performance at L-band until this is changed
in the software, observation scripts and anywhere else it needs to be changed.

Jim