[evlatests] L302 status

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 26 16:35:31 EDT 2006

We have determined that the three L302's put into Antennas 13 and 24 at the
end of last week had non-working DDS firmware. We just tested a unit in the
lab and saw both the YIG tune voltage and the output of a test mixer were
showing erratic operation and long dropouts even when re-commanding the
synthesizer to the same frequency.  We installed the test DDS board I was
using last week and now see only the expected 20us dropout on both
signals.  This test board contains the same firmware as the IF AC unit in
Antenna 24 which explains why that one looked good.  Matt and I will take a
laptop to the antennas tomorrow and reprogram the DDS boards in these three
synthesizers with the correct firmware.  Based on what I just saw in the
lab -  I would not count on proper operation of the synthesizers in Antenna
13 until we update them tomorrow.

We are also going to reprogram the units removed from Antenna 13 last week
and install them into Antenna 18.  The IF BD unit currently in that antenna
is not locking properly.

Cheers,
Jim