[evlatests] L-Band Performance at noon

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:05:01 EDT 2006

    During Ken's lunch hour, I ran L-band to check on system
performance, and confirm the claimed sensitivity loss with cold-sky
observations.
    Six frequencies, spanning L-band from 1275 through 1706 MHz, were
chosen.

    All four L-band-equipped EVLA antennas (13, 14, 16 and 18) are
performing magnificently.  There are no dropouts (seen with 3.3 second
averging) visible on any antenna, IF, or frequency.  None of the sudden
phase changes reported by Michael Rupen on 13 were seen.  The phase on
EVLA baseline 13-18 continues across frequency changes.

    Items of concern:

    Antenna 14, IFs C and D, gave very weak fringes at 1670 and 1706 MHz
(respectively).

    Antenna 18, IF D, is returning Tsys values that do not reflect
reality.  (The other IFs are fine).

    All antennas show the now-familiar pattern of loss of sensitivity
with increasing frequency, as judged by AIPS weights.

    Unfortunately, a blunder on my part resulted in no useful 'cold sky'
data from which to directly determine the system sensitivity.  I'll try
recover these observations later today.