[evlatests] Phase Connection

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 26 11:49:00 EDT 2006

    Oops.  (It's a good thing we've got Barry around to remind us of our
blunders ...)

    This effect requires a different calibration strategy.  Because
antennas 13 and 18 have the modern L302s, with up-to-date firmware, we
must use one of these (18 for this experiment) as the reference, in an
investigation of phase stability of EVLA antennas.  Comparison with VLA
antennas requires a VLA antenna as reference.  To ensure we make similar
comparisons, I used antenna 9 as the VLA reference (it's adjacent to
antenna 18), and compared 13's phase behavior with antenna 6 (adjacent
to 13).  In this way, we are utilizing a similar baselines from adjacent
antennas.

    The result of this shows:

    Antenna 6 vs. 9 (VLA reference baseline) shows no significant phase
changes between scans taken at the same frequency.  The time separation
between such scans was 15 minutes.
    Antenna 13 vs 18 (the EVLA baseline shows a gradual increase in
phase -- identical on all four IFs -- of about 10 degrees over 15
minutes.  The same slope was seen at all frequencies.

    Looks like a baseline, or other such global phase effect, although
if a baseline error, it is rather larger than I would expect for such a
near-in pad (W12 = BW3).