[evlatests] Referenced Pointing Tests

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 17 18:08:45 EDT 2006

    We did a careful check of referenced pointing today, both primary
and secondary. For those who tire of reading these long descriptions,
the 'executive summary' is:

    Referenced pointing works.

    For those thirsting for details, read on ...

    Because we distrust summer weather and what it can do to high
frequency precision observing, Ken and I elected to do these tests at C
and X bands, with an artificially induced error of 1 arcminute in each
of az and el, on antenna 14.  Ken did this.  (I presume he has taken in
out, subsequently ... :) )
    The tests were done on 0555+398 -- at a very high eleveation of 78
degrees, so the presence (or not!) of the Cos(El) term in the
application of the pointing offset will be easily seen.
    We observed in pointing mode at C and X bands to see what the
pointing program found -- the large offsets were easily seen ( as it
turns out, we have a large collimation error between X and C bands for
that antenna, so the C-band solutions were notably different -- a red
herring for these tests).
    The determined solutions from X band were applied to an X-band
observation.  The amplitudes increased precisely by the anticipated
factor (13 percent), and a subsequent pointing confirmed there was no
residual pointing error.
    We then applied the same X-band solution to a C-band observation --
due to the large collimation error, the amplitudes were not much
improved.  A subsequent observation at C-band confirmed that the antenna
had moved by the amount specified by the X-band offsets.
    A 'secondary' referenced pointing solution was then determined, and
applied to a following C-band observation.  The amplitudes increased by
(close to) the expected factor, and a subsequent pointing determination
confirmed there was no residual pointing error.
    The experiment concluded with an observation and pointing
determination without any corrections -- to ensure that the offsets
determined in the beginning were still the same.  They were.

    We conclude that referenced pointing now works (really!)